How Society Thinks we should Fit the Bill

 


We live in a society with presumptions and assumptions of things. We can't help but have so many of them held by ourselves. 

Things which are to be done in a particular way, should be that way. My child was painting and drawing in her colour book. Although it was messy art, I loved her idea of not colouring a zebra black and white, and not giving a cow the white colour. I know that does not fit the bill, but it does give her a chance to show her creativity. I let her do it. In my mind I was arguing, is she learning the right colours of the animal, but in my heart I wanted her to include all colours in her drawing and be open to using her creativity.


In everything we do, we look at how to do it, what is the right way. Be it dressing, eating, or even making new things. We are conditioned to seek symmetry and be one with the crowd. This is social psychology is called conformity bias, the idea of confirming to everything others say, do, in order to be liked, in order to be an in-group member. But if all of us confirm, then who will be different?


While it is essential to not break moral or ethical rules, it is also essential that we approach life with a new colour lens and enjoy the process of creating it everyday. 


Even if you are under pressure to fit the bill, do you just take what is said, just as is? Or do you even question what if.. this is not the case?



Comments