Are You Scanning the Boundaries of Your Work?

Are You Scanning the Boundaries of Your Work?

I was reminded of something very simple the other day.

Someone who works at my home was talking to me about something that came up, and she casually mentioned, "You know, if the house help doesn't come, there are now mobile apps and online services where you can call someone for even one or two household tasks, or for the whole day. There are different packages available."

I stopped for a moment. She knew. She was aware of what was changing around her work. She knew what her alternatives and competition could look like. She knew that the way people get household help is changing and that there are new options available.

And I thought — isn't that exactly what we mean by scanning the boundaries of our work?

Whatever field we are in, there is a world around it that is constantly changing. New technology, new ways of working, new competitors, new expectations, new skills, new tools and sometimes completely new ways of doing the same work.

As professionals, we spend so much time becoming good at what we do that sometimes we forget to look outside what we already know.

What is changing in my field?

What could make my current skill outdated?

What is happening at the edges of my profession?

What are other people doing differently?

What are the new risks and opportunities?

I think being aware of these things is not just about appearing knowledgeable. It is about being prepared.

And this connects very closely with what I believe about continuous learning. My own work is in the learning space, and my PhD is also in lifelong learning. So I know that learning doesn't really have an end point. But I also know that learning isn't always about enrolling in another course or collecting another certification.

Sometimes learning is simply paying attention.

Talking to people.

Asking questions.

Reading.

Observing what is changing.

Looking beyond our immediate work.

And most importantly, being willing to say, "I don't know what is happening here yet. Let me find out."

I try to do this in my own workspace too. I talk to people, scan what is happening around the profession, understand what is changing and try to connect the dots. Sometimes a conversation gives me more insight than an hour of reading.

Because the world doesn't always announce that something is changing. Sometimes you notice it in a conversation. Sometimes you notice it through a new tool. Sometimes you notice it through a person whose work looks very different from yours.

And sometimes, you notice it through the person you least expected to teach you something. For me, that was a simple reminder that day: Don't just become an expert in what you do. Stay curious about what is happening around what you do. That curiosity may just be what keeps you relevant.

Comments