Can AI Read the Room Better Than a Facilitator?
I recently came across an article about AI "reading the room." The idea was fascinating. Imagine you're facilitating a workshop or leading a meeting, and AI is continuously analyzing the room. It tells you whether people are engaged, whether they are distracted, whether your energy has dropped, or whether you need to change your approach.
As someone who has facilitated learning sessions for many years, I had mixed feelings.
Facilitation has never been just about knowing the content. It is about being present. It is about noticing the person who suddenly sits back in their chair, the participant who leans forward because something sparked curiosity, the one who hesitates before speaking, or the smile that tells you an example has landed well. It is about sensing the energy in the room and adapting in real time.
Can AI do that?
Maybe, to some extent.
It can probably detect facial expressions, body posture, eye contact, speaking patterns, or periods of silence. It may even tell me, "Engagement has dropped," or "Only 20% of participants are interacting."
But then I started wondering...
Does silence always mean disengagement?
Not necessarily.
Sometimes silence means people are thinking. Sometimes they are connecting the dots. Sometimes they are reflecting deeply before responding. As facilitators, we've all experienced those moments where the room is completely quiet—not because learning has stopped, but because learning is happening.
Would AI understand that difference?
Or would it simply interpret silence as a problem that needs fixing?
Another thought crossed my mind.
Imagine receiving these signals while you are in the middle of facilitating.
"Energy is dropping."
"Participation is low."
"Ask more questions."
Would that help me?
Or would it pull my attention away from the very people I'm trying to connect with?
Personally, I feel it might become another voice competing for my attention. Facilitation already demands a great deal of cognitive bandwidth. You're listening, observing, thinking ahead, adapting your examples, watching the time, and responding to the room. Adding continuous AI feedback into that mix could become more distracting than supportive.
Having said that, I do see tremendous value in AI as a practice partner.
If I were rehearsing a workshop in a safe learning environment, I'd love AI to point out things I might have missed—my pace, filler words, uneven eye contact, or moments where participant engagement dipped. That kind of feedback could be incredibly valuable because my only job at that moment is to learn.
But during a live session?
I'm not so sure.
I still believe there is something deeply human about facilitation.
It is intuition built over years.
It is experience.
It is reading between the lines.
It is knowing when to pause instead of filling every silence.
It is sensing emotions that may never appear in a dashboard.
Perhaps the answer isn't whether AI should read the room.
Perhaps the answer is that AI can offer one perspective, while the facilitator's instincts, experience, and presence provide another.
The danger begins when we start treating AI as the single source of truth instead of another input to be interpreted thoughtfully.
Technology will continue to evolve, and so should we.
But maybe, in our excitement to make AI observe the room, we shouldn't stop trusting the human who is already in it.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
If you were facilitating a workshop and AI continuously gave you real-time feedback on your performance, would you find it helpful or distracting? And do you think AI can truly "read the room," or is there still something uniquely human about that ability?

Comments