Someone, Somewhere Is Reading


I often wonder who reads my blogs.

I write because I genuinely love writing. I enjoy putting a thought together, reflecting on something I've experienced, or simply sharing an idea that has stayed with me. Yes, I post them on LinkedIn and sometimes on other social media platforms, but I have never really written with a very deliberate goal of making the blog popular or turning it into something commercial.

So, naturally, I have wondered many times "does anyone actually read them?"

And then, one day, at a family gathering, something happened.

A very distant relative met me and, after the usual greetings, she suddenly said, "Hey Shazneen, I love your blogs! I follow them on one of the platforms you post on. I actually read them. They give me some great new topics to think about and some interesting insights."

I was honestly flattered, because someone had praised my writing and that too someone I least expected was quietly reading something I had been putting out into the world.

A little later, my husband said "You don't know who is silently appreciating what you do until they tell you."

And that's so true. We often underestimate the impact of our own efforts because we don't immediately see the person on the other side.

We send an email and don't know how it helped someone. We have a conversation and don't know what stayed with the other person. We share an idea and don't know who thought about it later. We write something and have absolutely no idea who, somewhere in the world, happened to read it.

My blog statistics tell their own story. More than 27,000 people have visited my blog so far. This month nearly 2k folks viewed it. There is a steady stream of readers, with little spikes whenever I post something new.

But honestly, the number isn't what matters most to me. What matters is knowing that someone, somewhere is reading. Maybe someone is reading it over their morning coffee. Maybe someone is going through a difficult phase and one thought resonates. Maybe someone discovers a new perspective. Maybe someone simply enjoys reading it for five minutes.

We may never know. And perhaps that's the beauty of putting something good into the world. Not everything needs an immediate reaction. Not every effort needs applause. Not every contribution comes with a visible result.

So if you are creating something, learning something, helping someone, writing something, building something, or simply putting in the effort every single day and wondering whether it matters, then please don't underestimate it.

Someone, somewhere may be noticing. And even if they haven't told you yet, your effort still counts.

Comments