The Day Someone Saw in Me What I Couldn't See in Myself


There was a time when, if someone had asked me to stand on a stage and speak, I would have wanted to disappear.

Once upon a time, it was me.

I too was a shy child, constantly wondering whether people accepted me. Whether I was good enough. Whether I belonged. It took me years to realize that not everyone's acceptance matters, and even among those who matter, only to a certain extent. Some lessons cannot be taught. They can only be experienced. This was one of them.

For many years, I was just one among the many.

Today, I know I am the one among the many. Not because I am better than anyone else, but because I have found my inner strength and my own reassurance.

I still remember where it all began.

I was standing on a stage for an elocution competition. A frightened little girl looking at a room full of teachers and students. I could feel the judging eyes on me. The expressionless faces made me even more nervous. I hated every second of that moment. My body gave up before my mind did. I developed severe cramps, sat down on the stage, and couldn't continue. People came to help me, but I walked away believing that public speaking simply wasn't for me.

Ironically, I loved psychology. I enjoyed interacting with individuals while conducting experiments in the psychology lab. One-on-one conversations came naturally to me. But the thought of speaking to a group... that was enough to make my heart race.

Life moved on.

Then, during my internship, I met a mentor who unknowingly changed the direction of my life.

One day, he looked at me and said, "You have the spark to connect with an audience."

I remember smiling politely.

Inside, I was in complete disbelief.

A little voice kept telling me, He doesn't know me well enough. He's just being kind.

But he didn't stop at encouraging me with words.

He gave me an opportunity to teach.

That was my Kung Fu Panda moment.

Just like Master Oogway saw the Dragon Warrior in Po long before Po could see it himself, my mentor saw something in me that I had completely overlooked.

That one conversation became my breakthrough.

From that day onwards, I slowly entered a world where I stood in front of audiences—not once, but every single day. Workshops. Learning sessions. Coaching conversations. Stakeholder discussions. The stage that once terrified me slowly became a place where I felt alive.

Looking back, I realize how powerful a single conversation can be.

Sometimes people don't need advice.

They don't need motivation.

They don't even need a detailed roadmap.

Sometimes they simply need someone who believes in them before they believe in themselves.

Today, when I coach someone, facilitate a learning session, or partner with leaders, I often think about that moment.

I wonder if, for someone sitting in front of me, I can be what my mentor was for me.

A Master Oogway.

Someone who helps another person discover the strength they already possess but haven't yet recognized.

Because breakthroughs don't always come from grand achievements.

Sometimes they begin with a simple sentence.

"I see something in you."

And that one sentence can change a life forever.

 

Comments